Tuesday, October 6, 2009

What is the Bottom Line?

A lot has been presented and undoubtedly you may feel a little overwhelmed. However, especially in the age of the internet, there is a tremendous amount of information accessible to both nurses and consumers. We no longer have to blindly accept drug advertisements as our sole source of information. The Hatch-Waxman Act of 1984 was an important step in consumer rights. As a nurse we need to ensure that our patients are getting the right care regardless of what big pharmaceutical companies want us to believe. While it is important for those companies to make money in order to further research new drugs, not all consumers can afford those brand name alternatives. Consumers should also keep themselves up to date. As a consumer you should not rely on everyone else to have your best interests at heart. If you can’t afford a brand name don’t hesitate to tell your doctor. Here are a few links that provide easy to understand information to help you begin your own research:

Hopefully this has made you more informed about the ongoing debate involving generic vs. brand name drugs. This is not an issue that will go away. However knowledge is power and the more you know the better. We invite your comments.

4 comments:

  1. I definately feel more informed. I usually buy name brands because they are promoted so well and I have always felt that they are better. These drug companies spend alot of money and I see lots of commercials for them. I never even think about generics. But now I will make sure I ask my doctor if I can switch. Thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always get the generics, it saves me lots of money..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent blog! This is always an important issue to me. I hate when I argue with people who think generic drugs are inferior. They just believe whatever the TV tells them. If the drug company runs an ad for a specific drug thats the one they think is best. People should pass this blog link along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Extensive advertising is an advantage of the trade name drugs. They focus heavily on the trade name awareness of the general public.

    ReplyDelete